Monday, June 21, 2010

Summer Solstice or Midsummer

This day... the longest day of the year in the northern hemisphere... has old traditions in many cultures around the world.

When I went to Denmark with my parents... in June of 1973... I witnessed bon fires. This was supposed to be ancient pagan ritual where they burned a pretend witch on a bond fire. In my research I also learned the fire was lit at night to ward off evil spirits as the sun returned southward.

In Native American cultures... some will celebrate each season as it passes with different rituals depending on the tribe. One... is the turning the head of the Turtle... a symbolic mound... and a rock for the head... to point in a different direction depending on the season. Fresh dirt is placed on the mound... and flowers are placed by each individual in attendance with their prayers.

But what ever your culture... in the northern hemisphere it is the beginning of summer. I like to be warm... and enjoy this time of year with its many outdoor adventures and projects. Despite my Danish heritage... I prefer to look at each season as a new beginning... and a chance to reflect... and start a new. It's another chance to re-focus... and re-connect with family and friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment